Thursday, May 30, 2013

What it takes



A dream come true is when you’re given advice by a popular radio personality and it starts to payoff. In the spring of 2012 Lars Larson told me to make it in radio I should start off with an internship and learn the ins and outs of the station, especially when it comes to sports. I was fortunate enough to get a summer internship working with sales that summer but what I wanted to do was sports. Lucky for me Jon Warren and Mike Parker found room for me to assist on the Joe Beaver Radio show. I was thrilled to be a part of a program that the community was involved with. I was also thrilled to be working with Oregon State Athletics, especially football.


I got my first taste of action covering high school sports for the Philomath Warriors football and moved around after that. But my time doing interviews with coaches, players, sitting in at road shows, and getting air time was always nice. I’ve been lucky enough to continue interning with the show this spring. I continue to learn what it takes to be a personality on the radio. There is more to it than being fully knowledgeable on sports. It takes effort in learning the equipment, learning something on a moment’s notice, and no matter what being prepared for the worst case scenario. I have gotten all of that while working with the Joe Beaver show. It’s also nice to assist these older guys in the new ways of the younger generation, like social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment