Wednesday, September 11, 2013

#8 Best Beavers game I've seen is...

Arizona State @ Oregon State 2006

It was  pouring rain on November 4th 2006 when the Sun Devils visited in Corvallis for their match up against Oregon State. After upsetting #3 USC the previous week in the final seconds many people wondered if the Beavers would be able to answer the call against ASU. My ticket to the game was in the end zone on the student side with the band. For those that don't know this, you used to be able to sit in the bands area. It wasn't as large then, and it was pretty darn noisy. Also the whole end zone where the jumbo monitor is at now wasn't there in 2006. I attended the game with one of my good friends from the dorm, Erik Guiremand, and we both were anticipating the same outcome: A Beavers Victory, and boy did we get it.

Aside from how cold and rainy it was outside I was pretty happy about it because it was the first time I got to wear my Oregon State game day poncho and it was really cool. Once the game started it was all Beavers in the first quarter going up 17-0 by the awesome play of Matt Moore and Co. The play of Yvenson Bernard was exceptionally amazing running for two touchdowns in that opening quarter. The Beavers would continue to pour it on from there leading 31-10 at halftime. I remember Matt Moore rushing for his touchdown in the second quarter because he scored it on our side of the stadium and shook hands with fans. I was fortunate enough to take part in that celebration but I can spot Erik and I in the highlights.

The defense remained stout by intercepting ASU quarterback Rudy Carpenter and shutting the Sun Devils out in the second half and sacking him four times on the day.  The Beavers went on to score 13 unanswered second half points. As cold and rainy that day was it held a significant meaning for both Erik and I. My cousin is an instructor out at ASU and he had a friend that went to school out there so it gave us bragging rights for the season with people we both cared about. It was also the game I learned what it meant to be a true Beaver Believer. It was my first game sitting in pouring rain, but it wouldn't be my last. Below is a compilation video of the 2006 season where some ASU highlights are at, I apologize but there aren't any highlights to this game on youtube or even ESPN. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSwLHjPbnA

No comments:

Post a Comment